vRO – Creating a test copy of your appliance

Recently I was investigating the migration of an external vRealize Orchestrator instance to an embedded instance inside vRealize Automation. But for testing purposes I didn’t want to use the production appliances… So I had to create a test vRA and vRO appliance.

I started with vRO. The control Center has the option to export and import the configuration. At first the import didn’t work because of insufficient memory. But after increasing the available memory and importing the configuration from my production appliance, I still was missing important stuff like workflows.

For some reason I didn’t think of the obvious solution: get the files from the production appliance and import them in the test environment. This gave me an EXACT copy. So the next step was to change the host name and the IP configuration.

I started the imported VM (disconnect the nic) and logged on to the console. Then I ran this command:

/opt/vmware/share/vami/vami_config_net

This will let you change the hostname (option 3) and to change the IP address (option 6).

Shutdown the appliance, connect the nic and start it up again. Now you have a copy of your production vRO appliance to work with. I didn’t test it but this might also work with vRA.

vRO – Import configuration – Exception occured. Could not extract ResultSet

While trying to import a vRealize Orchestrator configuration from one vRO appliance to another I received an error:

Not much information so I looked at some log files. There I got a bit more info on whats going on.

So it looked like the appliance ran out of memory. The first step I took was to increase the memory of the appliance itself. However I still bumped into a limit…

The flat line showed me that some process used al of the available memory. The next step was to increase the memory heap size inside the appliance. For this I followed this article: How to adjust the memory heap size for VMware vRealize Orchestrator (2138939)

Unfortunately it still didn’t work. The reason for this was that the import process doesn’t use the vco-server service but the vco-configurator service… So instead of editing the setenv.sh file for the server service I had to edit the same file for the configurator service. Edit the file setenv.sh  (/usr/lib/vco/configuration/bin) and search for this line:

Then increase the -Xmx value until the import is succesfull.